Saturday, June 26, 2010

Giant Flying Beetles, Waiting in the Shade and the Local/Ex-Pat Disconnect

Last week I arrived in my apartment to a loud buzzing noise. At first I thought maybe someone was using an electric, well, something on the street outside my kitchen window. I stood for a minute listening and eventually could tell that whatever it was probably inside and pounding again my window. I went, a little timidly, into the kitchen and found one of the giant-flying beetles I'd seen a few times around the city trying to escape out my kitchen window. Must have come in through the door as my windows all have screens now. Although with the noise, I don't know how I could have missed it. They've just like regular beetles, just giant and flying (and loud). Yeesh. Anyway, they're too big to squish, so after I got over my terror, I managed to trap it and throw it out the window. That'll get your blood pumpin'.
I was supposed to go the ballet last week. I went to the opera a few weeks back and thought, 'ok I can probably do a little more culture.' I set off last Sunday into a balmy 8000 degree Tashkent afternoon. I got to the theatre a few minutes before the group of people I was meeting up with and stood in a patch of shade off to one side while I waited. After about 10 minutes I thought, 'wait a minute, I'm waiting in sizzling heat, to go into a theatre, where it will probably be even hotter, to watch ballet? I think the heat's gotten to me' I turned around and left with a plan to make a lame excuse the next time I saw the people I was supposed to meet. Turns out I was the only one who even made it as far as the theatre.
I think the only real disappointment I've had here is that I haven't really connected with Uzbeks all that well. Local Russians and Koreans yes, no problem. But with the exception of a few Uzbeks who have spent extended periods in the west, it just hasn't happened. I've talked to a number of other expats and they all say the same thing. It's too bad, but I've got a bit of time left so maybe things will improve a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment