Saturday, June 19, 2010

The Honourary Canadian Consulate, The Queen's Birthday and Genocide

A few weeks back I decided to put my passport in a less than waterproof pocket while I was out in the pouring rain. It didn't get destroyed but it's certainly the worse for wear. I've been a little concerned about it. No so much for getting back into Canada, but getting out of Uzbekistan. Exit customs and passport control here are, to say the least, thorough experiences. For example it took my friend and I almost two hours to get out of Uzbekistan on the way to Turkmenistan in April. And that was with a line-up of maybe 6-7 people.
Unfortunately there is no Canadian embassy or consulate in Tashkent, only an honourary consulate. They're organizing a Canada Day reception for July 1st so I figure, well, at least they're willing to do stuff so I sent them an email about my passport and scheduled an appointment. What a weird place. Although I didn't meet the honourary consul, he is apparently a Russian guy who lived in Canada long enough to get an Canadian passport. There is actaully an office, a fairly substantial one, with the requisite photos of Harper and Michaelle (sp?) Jean on the wall. The asistant to the honoury counsel thought my passport would be fine for travelling still, so that was good. He also gave me his card to call if I have any problems when crossing the border. Just a strange experience though. Almost seemed like it was a commercial enterprise operating under the auspices of the Canadian government.
This week was the Queen's Birthday so the British Embassy hosted a reception at the Ambassador's residence. What a palace, geez. It easily accomidated the 200 or so people who attended. Unfortunately a few rain squalls blew through during the event which was held outside but they passed quickly- strange weather here recenlty. Fortunately there were lots of trees in the yard to stand under. An interesting mix of ex-pats and locals for sure.
I've had a few chats with some of the Uzbeks in my office about what they think about what's been happening in Kyrgyzstan. It can be an emotional subject. Although they're usually loath to speak strongly, in a negative way, on anything, the feeling that what's been happening is genocide or ethnic cleansing is quite strong. Can't say I disagree with them. Not too sure about future of Kyrgyz-Uzbek relations. They are going to be tough I think.

1 comment:

  1. Genocide ... not good ... does your office have a UN Human Rights rep in it? Sad situation. It's pretty much droppped off the news completely and already, here.

    ReplyDelete