Ok, I'm here! Yeesh, a bit of long trek, but no worse for wear- I think. After spending Saturday in Toronto I left Pearson on Turkish Airlines for Istanbul. It was ok, about 9:30 hours to get there.
The arrival time in Istanbul was actually perfect as I had just enough time to get to the next gate to board my flight to Tashkent- which was about 4.5 hours.
The Tashkent airport....well, it was actually decently fast. A bit over an hour from the time we landed until I walked out the front door of the airport. The best part was that the TV's in the customs hall were tuned to Euro Sport showing the gold medal game. I think the game was being called by an Australian guy, which was a bit weird. Anyway, needless to say I was jumping up and down and cheering when Crosby got the winner- much the amusement (bemusement?) of the Uzbeks who really didn't seem all the interested in hockey.
I was picked up in one of those classic white UN SUV's with the big, blue 'UN' on the side. Pretty cool. I'm staying in a hotel for the first few days while I look for an apartment.
Met the office yesterday. Not exactly sure what I'll be doing yet, but everyone seems nice and helpful. Saw a few apartments yesterday and will see a few more today. Will probably take a week or so to get internet hooked up in whatever I rent so internet access will be a bit spotty till then.
Anyway, that's about it for now, just heading off to start my first real day of work!
Monday, March 1, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment