Well, like in many places, sometimes including Vancouver, is terrifying here. At least people are nice enough to honk and flash their lights if they're going to smush you. Keeps you alert.
Anyway, it's been a good week. Unfortunately my internet connection has still not been switched on- from what I got out of the super-fast talking tech guy this morning was that the Internet Provider has to wait for Uzbek Telecom to do something to the phone line before it'll work. And like most big bureacracies, like many in Canada too, they'll do it when they feel like it. Hopefully, hopefully this week.
The work is good. Lots to learn, so it's keeping me busy. I think like learning languages, you never really start to learn about a part of the world until you get there- although I guess drinking lattes in the mall isn't how most Uzbeks are spending their Saturday afternoon.
Have finally got a trip out of the city planned. Myself and a few of the other local ex-pats are going to head to Samarkand next weekend for the long weekend (yup, another one). we'll stay they for a night and then head to the birthplace of Amir Timur (Tamerlane) who, among other things, is Uzbekistan's National Hero.
Hmmm...I think that's about it for now....kind of boring....will try to do some more interesting things before I post again, or at least make some stuff up!
Saturday, March 13, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment